Thursday, February 10, 2011

How will we change the world?

I attract coincidences, as I've recently mentioned. Something that comes out of a lot of my conversations is this admission that I, and also whoever I'm conversing with, has a sincere (albeit vaguely understood) desire to "change" or "save" the world.
And I used to get really excited: I want to do this, and I keep meeting other people who want to do this!!!1!!OM!G!! We can work together and do it! Yay!
And then my friend Anna diffused my glee, seemingly forever, with one word. She and I had been talking about such things, and then I had a great conversation with Charissa. The next time I saw Anna, I was all giddy: "Charissa wants to save the world, too!" And then Anna asked:
"How?"

I was stunned. It was like being excited to reach the edge of the flat world, only to discover there's more world. What, you mean I have to keep going?
I don't think that was a life-changing moment, but it did define certain distinctions in my conversations. I thought the answer was so obvious, until I actually had to come up with an answer. Now the coincidences I experience involve attracting answers to that question: How will we change the world?

Now, there are lots of ways we CAN change the world. Changing the world is, in fact, incredibly easy. But I don't want to change the world just for the sake of change. I want to change it because the world I live in is not, in my opinion, the best world for me to live in.
I still don't have an answer for how to change the world, but I have a far better idea than I did three years ago, or even three months ago.

Here are four people who have had a huge impact on me during this period:

Douglas Rushkoff, on how we can change the world of economics:


Ken Robinson, on how we can change the world of education:


David Platt, on how we can change Christianity (and I believe we can take this to any religion):


Daniel Quinn, on how to challenge our origins:

1 comment:

Beeker said...

Even the tiniest rain drop can make a wave. I say lead by example. The world is hurting for this.