Sunday, June 15, 2008

new adventures!

I'm really happy about this: I have done a lot in the past nine days.
I have a tendency to be lazy--one of my biggest motivations in leaving Tennessee was to escape what I thought of as a "sedentary lifestyle." So any week in which I leave the house two or more times (for something other than work) is a big step for me, but it's a first step, and I hope to reach a point where I spend the majority of my time out & about.

Here's some of the things I've done lately:
--I walked with Anna down to the waterfront, and took a ferry to Bainbridge Island, where we had pizza, and then returned to play Rock Band until we dropped.
--Saw Dr Robert Thurman speak at SPL on the Dalai Lama, and how the world might (he says will) change through a Buddhist perspective.
--Explored the U. District, where Anna introduced me to an awesome bookstore and an equally awesome video store (the movies are arranged alphabetically by director!), and then we talked about Mike Samberg over drinks at an Irish pub.
--I finally got to work in receiving at BN. I guess since that's what they hired me to do, and since I've been there for a month now, they finally decided to put me in there. I celebrated by spending my lunch break that day drinking and writing.
--Friday I went downtown to join my aunt, uncle & cousin in seeing Alexander Nevsky, while the Seattle Symphony and Chorale performed Prokofiev's score to the film.
--yesterday I took a bus to the U. District... it became stuck in traffic (yesterday was UW's graduation) so I hopped off & walked around until I found my way to Maitreya & Mark's house, and we went to see the Mariners lose to the Nationals. None of us are fans of baseball (actually, I think yesterday was the first baseball game I ever watched that wasn't a video game), but Mark had free tickets so it was worth doing. This was the first time I met Mark, and the first time I'd seen Maitreya in probably ten years.
--Today I joined my aunt, uncle & cousin again, this time for Fathers' Day brunch. That was very nice, and Bria (my cousin) and I followed it up by going down to the pier and touring one of the boats from Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch." It was freaking cool (Bria liked neither the motor-oil smell, nor the discomfort of it, but I thought it was awesome, and am now considering going out with them for a season).

Anyway, that's the laundry list of recent accomplishments. Not the most exciting, but oh well. I'm going to go now, and try to get rid of this headache.

Oh, yeah, but before I do, I just thought I'd mention the fact that it's been in the mid-sixties for the past two days here, and I consider it to be wicked hot. Mark & Treya, having just moved here from Jersey, were asking about becoming acclimated, and I'd say it happens pretty quickly... considering I've been here only six weeks, and that I moved here from Arizona (where it was 117°F yesterday).

No comments: