Thursday, July 31, 2008

[general]

I post MySpace bulletins from time to time (i.e., that's pretty much how you can tell on which days I have access to the internet) with a "Song of the Day." I basically take the lyrics to a song I've heard within the past 24 hours, which stuck with me or made me feel something, and I rework those lyrics as prose. Today I did two Saul Williams songs ("1987" and "Tao of Now"), but this is the real song of the day. It's so catchy, I just might get circumcised.

I'm going to eventually get around to revising the tags on my previous posts, and using only very general and common tags. There's just no use for so many. I think I'll narrow it down to things like "revolution" for my rants, "adventure" for my, well, adventures, and "piracy" for my Big Idea. And even though I already have sixteen blogs, I just might start up one for book reviews (actually, there is one among those sixteen; I suppose I'll just update it--I last posted there almost six years ago) and another for song-of-the-days... I have it in my head that now I'm actually living an interesting life, I might just start up a website rather than make use of MySpace for all my publishing needs.

Oh yeah, and I'll definitely keep the "wx" tag, because weather in Seattle is worth mentioning. It's July--the end of July, even--and it's not going to get over 70°F today. Here's some perspective:
Murfreesboro, TN: currently 91° (feels like 100°), with 57% humidity
Tucson, AZ: 103° (98°) 14%
Killeen, TX: 100° (109°... good Lord, dad, leave) 38%
Seattle, WA: 69° (68°) 42%

Let's see... what else is up? Josh (Jenn's boyfriend) moved in with us, so now we're three people living in a one-bedroom apartment. We're planning to relocate next month, hopefully to another, equally affordable place in the area. Also, I'm squirelling money away in the hopes of being able to afford rent & deposits for the new place and still make it to Burning Man. As long as I limit myself to the supermarket (i.e., cut out Red Robin and the Joker--but Jolly Roger's still cool 'cause it's cheap), I should be able to save up weird amounts of money.

I remember working full-time for T-Mobile, making something like $14/hour... what a life of luxury! But the thing is, I always lived up to my means... I have just as much spare cash as I did then, it seems, even though here I pay nearly double the rent, and over double in gas (even though it's a 30% shorter drive to work).
And I was obsessed with winning the lottery, then. I was spending $50/month on lottery tickets and thinking about what I'd do with the winnings.
And do you know what I was going to do? I was going to live more simply, and travel more. With the excess dough, I was going to do things that would help people. I actually thought to myself, "if I had more money, I could help people."
And then I thought to myself, "what are you doing to help people with the money you have now?" I stopped playing the lottery, then.
And then I did an even crazier thing: I quit my job. So not only did I have less income... I had no income.
And do you know what I did then? I lived more simply, and I traveled more.

This is treatening to turn into a much longer post that what I've resigned myself to (I'm about to head to the library to pick up a book that's being held for me), and so I'm going to change tack (but note to self, add "money" to the list of blogs-to-come) and just mention that me:income / water:pitcher. Whatever size container my employer grants me, I conform to its shape. I see no reason to do that, when I could live even more simply, and have even more money... and then I could actually use that money to help people--for now. Ultimately, I intend to help people with no money at all. But until I work up that much nerve...

Oh, yes, and other things I've been up to:
last Monday, Jenn, Josh and I met up with coworkers+ at Golden Garden (the beach not far from our home; have I mentioned we hope to find a new place in the same general area?). It was a good time, although I managed to get embarrassingly drunk, and Jenny (one of my coworkers) told me it's going to be a weekly event now. Perhaps with a bit less alcohol, though. So anybody coming to visit Seattle, be sure you're here on a Monday.

The day before that, Anna and I went to the Center for Wooden Boats to take part in the free sailing they make available on Sundays. Most of the voyages were booked full by the time we arrived, but there was room left on the last one--which was on John Wayne's yacht! So we got to go out for a 45min trip around Lake Union. Very nice. When visiting, also plan to be here on a Sunday.

Yesterday, I saw the new X-Files movie. I was very pleased. Katie said it wasn't like the X-Files. It wasn't like an episode of the show (it was, in fact, like a movie), but I thought it had everything that the X-Files had ever had going for it. Katie complained there wasn't enoug Skinner, but that's because she's a perv.
Top it off with a good (abeit short) conversation with Nathan, and making Jenn watch V for Vendetta, and yesterday was just another good day in a good week in a great city.

1 comment:

Beeker said...

You say you want a revolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know you can count me out

Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Alright, alright

You say you got a real solution
Well you know
We don't love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well you know
We're doing what we can
But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Alright, alright, al...

You say you'll change the constitution
Well you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well you know
You better free your mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow

Don't you know know it's gonna be alright
Alright, alright

Alright, alright
Alright, alright
Alright, alright
Alright, alright