Monday, July 21, 2008

... then the laundry

I don't like my last post. it's lame, boring, and poorly written. However, editing or rewriting it would make me think of the Summer Jam again, and I'm just not willing to do it. Removing it would be counter-productive to this blog.

So I'm going to write another article to feel better about myself. Also because, I tend to do anything but laundry on laundry day. Blog excessively, for example.

I never minded doing laundry. For one thing, I usually wouldn't have done much else with my day. I would sit and watch TV or play games or laze about in my room. Laundry would not stand in my way, except for the few minutes it took to move a load from washer to dryer.
Now, though, I have to go to a laundromat. I'm way lucky and perhaps even spoiled to have lived thirty-one years before going, but that only makes it worse now. I can't watch TV--when I'm doing my laundry, the TV is two miles away. I can hardly read, since I have to check and recheck and finally move the laundry (when I had my own washer/dryer, they would get moved when I felt like it; it was rare that someone would be waiting in line). (This is not to say I don't read; it's just frustrating, is all.)

But the real bother to me isn't that I can't sit at home & be lazy--it's that I wouldn't sit at home and be lazy. The day of laundry (and at this point it will be a day, since I haven't done laundry in something like three weeks) is a day where I am forced to sit and be lazy.
After yesterday's tedium, I would love to get out and do something today. I would like to go to Portland, specifically. I could have gone out this morning, checked it out, spent the night [somewhere], and come back tomorrow in time for work. Except that I need clean clothes to wear to work.

Of course, the real issue isn't how long the laundry will take, but how long I'll take to do the lanudry. I woke up at 9:00AM. It's not after 2:30PM, and I still haven't done it. I'd be back by now; I could be on my way to Portland by now, even.

This is one of those of those backwards ways my mind works. I'm wicked prone to procrastination. I can talk myself into waiting for or delaying anything. I can also distract myself with a billion things that suddenly seem interesting. For example, I've watched three episodes of "The X-Files" today (okay, that's a weak example; "The X-Files" is interesting). For example, I've read the imdb.com trivia page for the movie Like Mike today. For example, I edited my MySpace page today. And the thing is, I even have productive things I could do online (I can already feel Katie silently damning me for not reading her screenplay)! But: I Cannot Allow Myself to do productive things when there are more important productive things to do. I can't go to Portland--I have to do laundry! I can't read that screenplay--I have to do laundry! I can't break out the watercolors--I have to do laundry! I can't buy shelving for my room--I have to do laundry! I can't pick up my book from the library (oh shit, I had better do that, actually)--I have to do laundry! But I will get around to the laundry just after I watch this episode; just after I make my MySpace page orange; just after have lunch; just after this beer.

le sigh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I do the same thing with laundry. I don't like having it hanging over my head though, so I've started doing it after I close on Saturdays. That way, it's all done when I wake up on Sunday, my day off. Although obviously I have no life on Saturdays:)
Incidentally, this is Jayne. I don't remember either of my Blogger IDs, so I'm checking Anonymous here.