Monday, July 21, 2008

KUBE 93 Summer Jam

I just saw an amazing shot, in a scene from the X-Files episode "Red Museum." Scully, Mulder and a third fellow are driving down a road in a pickup, with a grey sky and farmland visible in the background. It's the lighting and focus what made it great. That has nothing to do with anything... I just wanted to remember it.

What I'm really here to talk about today is KUBE 93's Summer Jam!!!1!OMG!
So my cousin Bria turned thirteen recently, or is turning thirteen soon (FYI: I am horrible at rememebering birthdays), and to celebrate she got three tickets to the big event. She really didn't want her parents to go with her (at the end of the night she admitted this, because she feared her parents would have locked her away upon discovering she listened to music about getting high/drunk/etc), but luckily Court moved to Seattle--which means I get to play Big Brother. Which means Bria, her friend Lauren, and I were on our way to see Ray J, Bow Wow, T-Pain, The Game, and Li'l Wayne!!

Unsurprisingly, Bria had the closest, most expensive tickets (as soon as she realized there were such things as Backstage Passes, she became obsessed with obtaining one). I don't think she had very realistic expectations, unfortunately. To her, being in the pit meant we'd be right up front! where all the action is! To me, it meant we'd be standing. For six hours. My expectations were not realistic either: we were standing there for eight and a half hours. I also did not expect it to be so dreadfully boring.
I'm no fan of any of the artists, but expected them to be at least entertaining. Alas.

Bow Wow was the most entertaining, mostly just because of his entrance (running up some stairs and leaping across the stage), but also because he was backed up by Khleo Thomas (the kid who played Zero in Holes). Oh, and because in one of his songs, he referred to beating a woman's ass "like Mike." Yep. That's as good as it got.

Although I really can't say enough bad things about the day, and actually don't have much nice to say about it either, it really wasn't such a bad day. It was pretty much like a twelve hour shift working at the cashwrap at BN... I stood there. It was long and tedious. And then we left.

Before I shut up about it (I was going to give a blow-by-blow description of the show, originally, but have decided I'm tired of thinking about it), I would like to make a special point of how unimpressed I was with T-Pain. I'd never heard of him before, so it's not like I had any expectations. But I've never been so bored by a performer. He had dancers on his stage, who danced like me but not as well (FYI: I am more embarrassed by than I am proud of my "dancing"). His songs were not very interesting, and either they were all very short, or he simply didn't finish them. But by far, the most incredibly irritating thing was that every [two-minute] song (except one) of his over-an-hour set ended with the same sound effect of an explosion as the DJ yelled "Ohhhh!" (the one exceptional song still featured the sound effect, but the DJ did not yell).

Anyway, I'm done with it. Over and out.

[blogs coming soon: fellow travelers, death]

No comments: